How to Register a Complaint?

Under the Consumer Protection Act, you can file a complaint under the following circumstances.

• If you have suffered loss or damage as a result of any unfair trade practices adopted by a trader

• If the services hired/availed of suffer from any deficiencies

• If you have been charged a price in excess of the price displayed or fixed by or under any law in force

• If the goods which are hazardous to life and safety when used, are being offered for sale to public in contravention of any law in force.

• You can register your complaint online. Click Here to Register Your Complaint !


    How to Complain?

    To complain effectively you have to go about it in the right manner.1. Once you are justified in making a complaint, a letter has to be sent to the opposite party explaining your problem with the product/service

    2. Gather all the relevant facts and evidence about your complaint e.g, receipt of purchase or brochure, confirmation, invoice, an advertisement, estimate and bills.

    3. Complain as soon as possible. Your letter should give the opposite party a reasonable time to comply with your request, say 15 days.

    Note: Keep all original documents with you in a file. Do not part with the originals unless called for by the court. Always use Xerox copies when required.


    Where to File a Complaint?

    You can file a consumer complaint under the Consumer Protection Act Before the District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum, The State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission or the National Commission depending upon the place where the cause of action occurred and the amount of compensation claimed.

    District Forum below 20 lakhs
    State Commission between 20 lakhs and 1 crore
    National Commission above 1 crore


    Time Frame for filing complaints:

    The complaint is to be filed within 2 years from the date of last documented evidence such as letter, notice etc.

Guide to approaching a consumer court

India's first practical guide to resolving your complaints by approaching consumer court. Guidance
Customer Complaint


Enter your email address to subscribe to our Newsletter.